Yes, I’ve been gone for a while. No, I am still here and still alive. Between traveling to the Angst-in-laws’ for Thanksgiving and working on plowing through journal stuff and reading for class and contemplating beginning outlining and hounding relatives to send me pictures for my grandmother’s Christmas letter which I design, it’s been a little busy.
Here’s what I’ve done over the last two weeks:
- Drove 6 hours, each way, in nasty rainy stuff, to Thanskgiving.
- Played fetch with the dog in the backyard, which he loved.
- Ate turkey
- Made sides to go with leftover turkey once.
- Saw Dan in Real Life and wished the filmmakers had been brave enough not to give it a happy ending.
- Watched The Incredibles and remembered what a totally kick-ass movie it is. Too bad it’s Disney and I bet I can’t get it on DVD for another twenty years.
- Finished editing the most boring article ever. Maybe second-most boring. It’s hard to say.
- Slogged through some administrative responsibilities that were unpleasant.
- Decided I needed better backup, so bought an external hard drive. Might arrive tomorrow.
- Woke up with swollen tonsils. Afraid am getting sick. Fighting through it.
- Wrote this post.
I think that actually only covers about a week and a half, maybe even just a week, but I think it’s a fair assessment of what my life is like right now—editing, some reading for class, eating, sleeping, trying not to die, that sort of thing.
I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving. For all my complaining, I have many things to be thankful for, not least of which is realizing I have many things to be thankful for. Heaven help me if I ever forget to acknowledge how incredibly blessed I am.
I don’t usually walk through the lobby of our apartment building, preferring instead to go out a side door. But today as I headed for that side door, I noticed some plants from the lobby had been relocated to the area near the side door. Curious, I went through the lobby and discovered our building is holiday crazy. We have a giant gold and white-decorated tree, white (fake?) poinsettias, and white drippy lights all over the lobby. It’s kind of nice, but it also makes me a little insane because it means I’ll now be reminded every time I walk downstairs how UNdecorated my own apartment is.
Holiday mania, here I come.
Welcome to the In-Their-Own-Words Edition of the weekly law school roundup, featuring posts by law students, future, present, and past. Enjoy!
- “perfect, beautiful snowflakes”: Ostranenie
- “perhaps I’m just stressed”: the law according to [josh]
- “peeling off your skin and rolling in salt”: law and floss
- “this may be the first year he gets really, truly excited about the season”: PT-LawMom
- “the library is starting to smell like unwashed law student”: Thanks, But No Thanks
- “I am not cooking“: Butterflyfish
- “I may actually have to fake premature labor during finals”: Knocked Up (and in Law School)
- “biting sarcasm in a tax case”: Frequent Citations
- “Such an agreeable fellow”: Lag Liv ((OK, the quote is from another post, but it fits, yes?))
- “‘This is what it feels like to not be tired.'”: Magic Cookie
- “The only appropriate response is silence”: Mel Woods
- “It’s like being secret agents together”: Peanut Butter Burrito
- “‘you’ll need to repeat that experience with a heterosexual'”: Think Like a Woman. Act Like a Man.
- “Bad Stevens! Bad!”: De Novo
- “I didn’t have to go back to the green vinyl chair”: The Merits of the Case
- “Maybe my kids don’t like the Democrats?”: Amicus Curiae
Still really busy. This isn’t a real update. I just wanted to say that we lit a fire in our fireplace this afternoon (because our apartment is COLD) and the dog has found his new best friend. He LOVES sitting in front of that fire. He’s all stretched out on the hearth, soaking up the warm. I keep wanting to watch him instead of working.
Per request, here’s a pic. He got cuter later, when he flopped over on his side and stretched out.
Welcome to this week’s Law School Roundup, full of interesting thoughts about law student life from law students! Enjoy!
- Education Face it, folks, this is my life now. 1L Elle
- Competition The ‘E’ word looms on the horizon and people aren’t nice anymore. 2Lwannabe
- Comparing If I know what other people are doing, I know what to do myself. the law according to [josh]
- Speaking Not that it’s bad, but it’s good to think first. Law and Floss
- Kindness Yes, Virginia, law students have souls. Legally numb
- Confidence It’s good to get a little. PT-LawMom
- Ethics I hope everyone who took the MPRE was better than this. Improvilaw
- Distraction Yeah, 3L sucks. Cella Bellum
- Ambition Do women and men really approach it all differently, or do women have inherently differing goals? It’s thought-provoking. Frequent Citations
- Timing It seems pretty piss poor in your third year. Mel Woods
- Reality It can’t be all books and stuff. Peanut Butter Burrito
- Gumption Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and do it. There’s No Competition in Law School
- Expansion But not the good kind. The Merits of the Case
And that’s it for this week. Look for next week’s Roundup at Evan Schaeffer’s Legal Underground. It’ll be back here in two weeks.